Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Many people are taking advantage of the adult orthodontic care offered by our orthodontist, and now you can, too.
Common reasons why adults consider orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces that are comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Clear aligners
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference to remember with adults versus children and teens is that in younger patients, the jawbones are still developing. For older patients, these bones have stopped growing and may require orthognathic surgery to align them. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth may be less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth often cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults receive some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never complete their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Peach Orthodontics also recognizes that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment, and that you receive understanding and respect from our orthodontist throughout your treatment.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth—Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may also help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence—Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse—Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues, costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics in Post Falls, Idaho, please call 208-618-5111 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Brent Rickheim. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.