Having braces doesn’t always require conspicuous metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth-colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces operate the same as traditional metal braces; however, instead of being made of metal, they are made of clear materials! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with a very effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces and do not work like traditional braces. Clear aligners are pieces of flexible plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. These aligners work well for patients who require orthodontic treatment but don’t want visible braces.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a common alternative to traditional metal braces, and our orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that others can focus on the patient’s smile rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Our orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to our team about all of your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee or wine, and when you smoke or eat certain foods. Ask our orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces may take longer than with traditional metal braces. If you don’t mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to our orthodontist to find out how long your treatment time will be.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking with Dr. Brent Rickheim, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Our orthodontist can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear, ceramic braces in Post Falls, Idaho, please contact Peach Orthodontics at 208-618-5111 and schedule an appointment today.